American Bison emissions are starting to smell pretty good! (Sorry, we couldn’t help ourselves!) ;)
We must now ask a critical question, because we’re conscientious of climate change. Which animal emits more CO2, the American Bison or Cattle? To our great relief, we don’t need to switch our product line!
Comparing the American Bison to Cattle
- For every 1kg of weight (plus dung, transportation, etc) in an American Bison, there will be 25-31kg CO2e emissions.
- For every 1kg of weight (plus dung, transportation, etc) in a cow, there will be 58-70kg CO2e emissions.
Time to Slaughter
- American Bison are raised approximately 27 months before going to market.
- Cattle are raised approximately 30 months before going to market.
Edible Meat Produced
- The average weight of a Bison is 500kg, of which 200kg (40%) is edible meat.
- The average weight of a cow is 400kg of which 140kg (35%) is edible meat.
- Beef and Bison are very similar, however if you’re looking for something that tastes great and has less fat, the Bison is the way to go!
- Wool! Bison hide gives us wool, cow hide does not.
We love American Bison Leather! We’ve worked with both cow and bison hide over the 40+ years we’ve been in business and can’t express how much we love bison hide! American Bison leather is tough and durable. At the same time it offers a soft feel and amazing texture!
So, when you’re thinking about buying leather goods, keep us in mind! We appreciate your support of the American Bison industry, of our planet, and of our handcrafted leather goods!
Your Global Neighbor,
The Buffalo Billfold Company
http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3062519 Further Info: